So my younger sis did a post on blessings received, and challenged anyone to post one similar. Today while I was in the shower (my few moments of "quiet" thinking/reflecting time) I was thinking of things I was grateful for as well. These are in no particular order, but just what popped in mind, and they are in no way all-encompassing, either.
I was thinking of the tender mercies of the Lord I've received. Sometimes they are not very big things at all, but just quiet reminders that we are never forgotten about. Sometimes as a parent, you do a small act of kindness for your child, just to show them you love them. Likewise, our Heavenly Father does His own small acts of kindness, just to show us His love.
I am eternally grateful for the husband I have. I don't know how I got so lucky (blessed) to snatch him. He is a perfect fit for me; he truly is my best friend. Whether I'm venting about this or that, or just having a plain old conversation, he is a great listener. He has taught me more than anyone or anything on how to be a better communicator and listener. I love asking his opinion on things, because I usually get a better insight on whatever issue is on my mind. He is so kind to people, too. He is like a big teddy bear. I am fascinated with the way people are magnetized to him. The old adage of "strangers are friends we haven't met yet" definitely applies to Mike. He makes every one feel comfortable and at ease. It is a quality I would love to have. He's also taught me a lot about other things, but I'll leave it at this for now.
I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a mother. I have always wanted to be a mom. When we were in high school, we were asked to write an essay about what we wanted to be, career-wise. I wrote about wanting to be a homemaker. I interviewed moms that stayed at home and have always wanted to be with my kids. Mike and I made a deal, as long as I didn't have to work outside the home, I wouldn't complain about where we lived (and believe me, we've lived in a few towns I don't want to reside in again!). So far, I haven't had to work outside the home.
And, how could I not mention the two beautiful girls that call me mom. They are so different (different could be an understatement here). But they bring so much joy into my life. Sometimes I am in awe that I have been entrusted to raise these kids. They can bring out extreme emotions in me, but I love them dearly and would not exchange these little monkeys (I mean girls) for anything. :0)
I am also grateful for my family. My parents for planting the seed of the gospel in my life and for nourishing it until it took roots of its own. I'm grateful for my brothers, for being there to listen to my woes of dating and for encouraging my to spread my wings a little further. I'm grateful for my sisters...they continually are patient with me and my craziness...I'm so glad they are willing to listen to me (sometimes for hours), laugh with me, and cry with me...they are great consultants, too! I'm also grateful for my brothers-in-law...they are so much fun to be around...I love my sisters-in-law, too. I consider them to be some of my greatest friends and am glad they accept me for me. And can I just say I hate referring to them (brothers and sisters-in law) as -in laws. I consider them siblings. And I consider my siblings as the greatest friends I could ever ask for!
Whether you are an old friend or a new friend, I am grateful for you. My friends have been so good to me. I love that they keep in touch with me, even when I neglect to call them forever (sorry). My friends have been great examples to me and I cannot express my gratitude for buoying me up in my times of need. Thank you.
And lastly (because this is probably boring most of you and is getting a little lengthy), I am grateful for the gospel in my life. This encompasses so much, I don't really know what to say. I am grateful for my testimony...for knowing I AM a daughter of God, for knowing I WILL be able to return to live with Him once more, for knowing I CAN repent of my mistakes and wrongdoings, and I KNOW the power of prayer is real...I see the proof of it daily. I know the fullness of the gospel has been restored to the earth through a boy who prayed in earnest in a quiet grove, and that today we have a living prophet who is the mouthpiece of the Lord. I know that the true priesthood is here on this earth and I know that the scriptures are true...I get excited when I read something and that little light bulb above my head springs to life with new light from an "a-ha" moment--a new understanding. I know that if I live the best I can, I get to be with my family forever, and that is a great comfort to me.
So that ended up longer than I thought. Thanks to whoever read it all...but I think it was more for me anyway! My sister said she could read back on her post of blessings when she gets discouraged and be encouraged through reading what she has to be grateful for, and I suppose I can do the same! I'll leave the same challenge, too, since Thanksgiving is approaching and we are all a little more mindful of the things we've been blessed with. If you want to post it on a blog, go for it, or you can just do a little private reflecting of your own!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Random Ramblings of Gratitude...
Posted by Mike and Jenn at 9:53 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
Amen. I am grateful for your comments today, as they helped me to recognize the blessings I have. It's always good to reflect on those things and I could stand to do that more often. I can tell you are a great mother and wife. Thanks for sharing your testimony. :)
Not boring at all Jenn! You amaze me! (And that never seems to end!) Not only do I also believe you have the bestest husband in the world, I also believe you are the bestest mother and friend there could ever be!
Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much for sharing your thoughts with us. They mean more to me than you'll ever know!
Love you lots!
Aren't testimony moments so uplifting?
Beautiful! Thank you for sharing! :)
You are so awesome. I totally agree with all of the things you say you are grateful for. Sometimes I think we get going with everyday life, and foret to Thank Heavenly Father for the simple, but so meaningful things that we have. We are very blessed, and these are good reminders.
Post a Comment