Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I Want My Mom...

Brooke has been sick for the past couple of days. For those who know Brooke, she doesn't slow down for anything--even when she is sick (upset stomach, fever, cold, you name it, nothing). I am still waiting for something to slow her up a bit so I can catch my breath! :0) Anyway, usually Brooke keeps on doing whatever she wants to do when she's sick. I know she doesn't feel well by her extra whinning and I can usually tell by the look in her eyes if she is feeling well or not (if that made any sense). Last night we heard her crying during the night so I went into her room to see what was wrong. When I walked into her room, she was crying, "I want my mom. I want my mom." I helped her calm down and got her back to sleep. I don't like to see my kids sick, but it was nice to know that she wanted me when she wasn't feeling well (she is a very independent kid, and rarely "wants" mom or dad for anything).

On mother's day, I stayed home with the girls because Brooke had come down with a cold and cough, sinus infection, double ear infection, and pink eye to top it all off! Mike had a lesson to teach, so I volunteered to stay home. And no, none of this slowed Brooke down, either. Emily on the other hand, she is our little softy. She loves to be held and she loves to be loved. She slows WAY down when she doesn't feel well, or if anything is wrong and she lets you know she isn't happy. She is extremely tender-hearted. In fact, with all the ailments Brooke has been going through, I would say Emily has expressed them the most--you could say she's a sympathy sick-mate, she does the complaining for Brooke. :0)

After Mike got home from church, and after naps, we went for a drive. On our way back home, Brooke said, "Mom, I'm going to throw up." So, we pulled over and let her walk around and gave her some fresh air. She seemed to be doing better, so we continued for home, only to pull over in another few mintues to repeat the whole thing. I was hoping we'd make it home before she actually threw up, but to no luck. About one mile before we got home, she threw up a couple of times. Luckily, though, I was prepared (Brooke gets car sick every so often), so the mess was contained in a bag and didn't get all over the car (we've learned from past experiences).

I told my mom about my "Happy Mother's Day" with staying home and Brooke being/getting sick. She said, "Be grateful you have kids, because if you didn't, it wouldn't be a happy Mother's Day at all." And she is 100% right. I am grateful that I have been blessed with two beautiful girls. There are days when being mom is difficult, but then moments happen when the joy from your kids make everything you go through definitely worth it.

4 comments:

Dalling Family said...

So true about being a mom! Kids can make you so mad and then come give you a big hug and kiss and you just melt. Good talking to you the other day!

Miss Jill said...

Hey I can relate to the sick kid thing. Adam has had a fever and been very whinny for 4 days. The fever is gone, but he still wants to "rock" all day with mom and be "home" as soon as we leave the house. I continually here "oww" all day long, but cannot figure out where exactly. After a trip to the doctor, we still have no clues. For Adam to slow down this much is very unusual. Sick kids definitely make for long days. Chat with you later.

The Shill Spill said...

And you are the BESTEST mom ever! (I should know!) You always take care of me!

Miss Jill said...

Hey cute tag. I learned a lot about you that I didn't know:)